Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Death of One of His Saints is Precious to God

As a pastor one of the responsibilities and/or privileges that go with the position is the commission to marry and bury people. Even though I am no longer in the full time ministry, the profession to which I was called is one from which there is no retirement. It is, in fact, a life long employment.

Today I had the privilege of officiating at the internment of a cousin who had passed away in another state and whose ashes were returned here to be buried next to his parents. It was not so much because I was a pastor that I was asked, but more because I am part of the extended family involved. My father-in-law and the mother of the deceased were brother and sister.

In preparing for the graveside message my attention was drawn to an amazing passage: "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." (Psalm 116:15) Think about that for a minute. When someone who is a believer in Jesus Christ dies, that physical death is precious; which means of extreme value and highly esteemed by the Creator of the universe! What an amazing picture -- not only did God so love us that He gave His only Son as a sacrifice for our sins, not only does God so love us that He sent His Holy Spirit to take up residence within the believers heart, but God also so loves His saints that He esteems them of ultimate value in their death! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I again stand amazed and in awe at the all encompassing love the Father has chosen to give to me, a sinner condemned unclean! He chose me, He indwells me, He awaits to welcome me home as one of His precious ones. Why? Because He chose to do it! I don't understand that kind of love but I sure do appreciate it and thank Him for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment