Friday, April 9, 2010

A Tale of Two Families

This afternoon I was privileged to spend some time talking with and praying for two young men; grandsons of a friend of mine. They are 19 and 14 years old. It was a God ordained meeting which left me deeply moved and troubled over the mess we humans make of our lives when we reject the One who created us and died for us. "There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is death! (Proverbs 16:25)

These boys are visiting Grandpa and Grandma for a few days because they need a place to find reality. A place that is safe. A place that is welcoming. A place where they can eat and sleep and be loved. A place where the dysfunctionality of alcoholic parents can be escaped, even if but for a few short hours. A place where God allowed me to enter their lives, share their hurt, join in their tears, welcome their embraces, and pray for Jesus to take over their lives. A place where I experienced anew the love that Jesus has for His wounded and scared children.

It was especially poignant to me because we had just returned home from a weekend gathering with our four children and their families. Oh how I wish that my two new young friends could have experienced that family time with us! Then they could have seen what it means to have loving parents who fear and worship the Lord of lords, Jesus Christ. Parents who love and care for our grand children with an unselfish desire; a desire to sacrifice what ever it takes to bring their children up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Parents who want their children to know the love of Christ. Parents who live out their commitment to Christ in front of their children.

I had trouble leaving my new friends this afternoon -- I wanted to bring them home with me. I wanted them to see that their "normal" is not something for which they have to settle. I wanted them to see what Christ can do in a family who follows and relies on Him for everything. Yet I know that the answer for them is not in seeing what Christ has done in my family. Their answer lies in seeing Christ move in their family. And that is my prayer that Jesus will move into their hearts in a new and powerful way and they will see that He is indeed their Lord and Savior. For their parents my prayer is that He will bring them to the end of themselves so that they can only look to Him, and in looking to Him that they will find salvation and new hope for a life that is God led and centered.

Jesus, only You can break the bonds of Satan and make that dysfunctional family a Christ centered loving family. I ask You, in Your name to do that. And Lord, thank You for my God fearing children and children-in-law who are raising my grand children to be followers of You. What a blessing! Amen

1 comment: